Monday, November 1, 2010

Taking the Plunge

I'm participating in NaNoWriMo proper, for the first time this year and I'm a little nervous. Last year, a modified version called NaNoReviseMo was the order of the day but this time, I'm going all out in order to try for 50,000 shiny new words instead of revising an existing manuscript.

The company is good at NaNoWriMo this year with many of my chapter mates from Chicago North, FFnP, Celtic Hearts and the lalala's also participating. There are bootcamps offered through Savvy Authors, Romance Divas and other places devoted to NaNoWriMo, including agent Nathan Bransford's entire blog from last week. Nathan might re-think his propensity for being helpful to budding authors when queries for all those first drafts land in his inbox in early December ;-). I suspect that agents all gird their loins or sharpen their teeth or whatever it is they do to deal with the slush piles when NaNoWriMo is over. After all, it's a good thing to encourage the masses to write, right?

Finally, the insanely talented and horribly funny Chuck Wendig offers up some advice, encouragement and a list of do's and don'ts in order to achieve success in getting those 50,000 words onto pages. Chuck also made me want a NovelBot but mine needs to do laundry as well.

Happy Samhain!

4 comments:

Marilyn Brant said...

Good luck with NaNo, Pamala!!!! I'm not doing it officially, but the collective sound of all of the writing world's keyboards are inspirational, and I hope everyone's productivity wears off on me ;).

Sending you fast writing vibes!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I tried it years ago and was such a miserable failure. I am rooting for you and expect to see the finished results in bookstores in a store near me soon! :-)

Pamala Knight said...

Thanks Marilyn! I did the unofficial version the last two years and am hoping the discipline to write everyday will come with all the encouragement and partners in the endeavor. I'll be on the lookout for your fast writing vibes ;-)

Teresa, I cannot imagine you being a failure at anything. Perhaps you just did finish, but I can't see it being failure. And I'm sure the bookstores can do without another slap dash first draft, especially from me :-). Thanks for stopping by.

Ed & Jeanne said...

I successfully did it last year and enjoyed it. This year I wasn't ready for the push but I might head down to one of the socials to see who's back. Good luck on the writing.