Monday, July 7, 2008

Research and then research some more...

In my effort to get my latest story out of my head and onto paper, I've been keeping an alternate plot journal.  What that means is that if I can't see the story through to the end, or if the plot seems more like a premise then, I scrap it and start again.  I've made some minor adjustments to the way things will play out but all in all, I'm on task.

I'm still doing research on some aspects of the mythology that I'm using and I'm excited that I learn something new about world cultures everyday.  My Thursday evening writing class teaches me about writing technique and mechanics,  while still allowing my unique style of sparse prose to flourish.   If only I could be Marguerite Duras.

   And now that Wimbledon is over, I can concentrate and write more often.  If they would just stop showing those USOpen series commercials....

1 comment:

Marilyn Brant said...

I really like your idea of an alternate plot journal... I may have to try this with my draft that is taking forever and is wandering everywhere :).