Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wanted to swap: My undying gratitude and/or cookies for a decent Synopsis

I'm combing the first fifty pages of my manuscript, making it bright and shiny with the intention of entering said pages into two writing contests.  Life was peachy and I was happy with all of the revisions--the revised opening paragraph and beefed up middle all made me smile.   I checked, once again, the contest rules to make sure that I'd formatted correctly and removed anything else that might bounce me from contention before a single word is read by a judge.  That's when I saw it.

The word 'optional' was GONE from in front of the word, 'snynopsis.'  I've been working most of the summer to come up with the pithy, snappy, witty and complete blurb, hook or whatever you want to call it.  So you would think that the freedom to spill my guts for up to five pages about my story would make me happy, practically giddy.  But no, such is not the case.  I'm terrified because I fear that I'll sound like a mental patient when describing my torturous tale.  I have some time before the submission deadline and hopefully with a bit more hard work and some praline ice cream, I can get the dreaded synopsis put to bed.

Wish me luck and cake.

2 comments:

Marilyn Brant said...

One of the Chicago-North members has an excellent handout on crafting a synopsis. I'll find the email and forward it to you :).

Pamala Knight said...

Once again, the beautiful and talented Marilyn rides to my rescue. Thanks doll!