Saturday, May 6, 2017

GOOD NEWS and a month of Sundays

Hello friends!

I know, it's been too long since I came out to update you on any happenings and for that I apologize. I hope you can forgive me.

I've been writing pretty steadily thanks to a spate of good health and the Panera weekend writing club of Shannyn, Julie, and Kelly. It's nice to have people who keep each other on track and provide a sounding board for plot ideas and issues.

 My historical spinoff that started as a novella with a character who was only mentioned in my time slip series now has a full novel devoted to him and his POC lady love and their happily ever after. Who knew? Does anyone else have characters that go in directions that you never planned? Only me? Okay. Well, this wastrel second son decides that a wealthy and titled young lady who doesn't want to get married, just like he doesn't, is the perfect partner for his scheme to evade getting the banns read. Of course, things don't go as planned. Actually, there are full on shenanigans and did I mention that the charming, beautiful aristocratic lady was a woman of color? Yep. And to be clear, there were PLENTY of non-white people in Regency England because they were there long before then. Anyway, you didn't come out for a history lesson. Feel free to enjoy the photo of Queen Charlotte Sofia, reputed to be mixed-raced. I named another character in this book Sofia as an homage to her majesty.

The good news I wanted to share is that early pages of this tale have landed me in the Historical finalist category for the Kiss of Death RWA chapter's Daphne Du Maurier contest for Unpublished writers. So, yay for me and yay for Ned and Cecile! Wish us luck :-)

RWA Kiss of Death/Daphne

No comments: